Easier variant: Pedestrians can take an up- and downhill ride on Steinmannbahn at the foot of the stone pine forest (lift ticket required: € 16,00). From the top station there is a broad road leading directly up to the hut - that guards the entrance to Rotmoostal side valley. The hut taxi (call for reservation) will gladly pick you up from the top station of Steinmannbahn.
The Schönwies hut is closed on mondays.
Safety informationPlease pay attention to the current weather- & avalanche report:
Tips and hintsMore details about winter hiking in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/winterwandern
Getting thereThe car drive to the Ötztal valley. Situated in Tirol, the Ötztal valley set off in southerly direction and is the longest side valley in the Eastern Alps. The journey with the car leads you through the Inntal valley to the entrance of the valley and further on through the valley. Among the toll motorways you can also use the country roads. A route planner will show you the easiest and most convenient was: https://www.google.at/maps.
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Gurgl:
- Parking garage (center of Obergurgl), chargeable | € 2,00/hour
- Parking garage - bottom station Festkogl, chargeable | € 2,00/hour
- Parking Hochgurglbahn valley station, free of charge - no parking at night
- Parking Top Mountain Crosspoint, free of charge
- Parking Hochgurgl, free of charge (very small parking)